New FC6 install wont accept password -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Dec 10 03:45:13 UTC 2006

David-Paul Niner wrote:
> At the grub menu press 'e' to edit the kernel line argument and enter
> the letter 'S' at the very end.  Press ESC and the letter 'B' to reboot
> with the new command line arguments and you'll be dropped to a shell
> where you can use the passwd command to change root's password.
>
> Good Luck,
> DP
>
> On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 20:41 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I spent the last couple of hours installing FC6 on an old computer with
>> only 192 megs of ram. I restarted the install 4 or 5 times and it
>> finally ran to the end but now it doesn't like the root password for
>> whatever reason?  It is very unlikely that I typed it incorrectly twice
>> as required.
>>
>> Anyway there must be a way around the problem.  I have a rescue disk.
>>
>> Can someone advise as to the process for fixing this?
>>
>> Bob Goodwin
Thanks for the help.  That got me off in the right direction although I
still had trouble mainly because I did not know what to expect.

I found the following which was more detailed and I was able to fix the
problem.

            */Booting in single mode from GRUB/*:

            - Reboot the system and wait for the GRUB screen to appear
            - Highlight the kernel version you're currently using
            (usually the newest version) from the GRUB list
            - Press "e" to be taken to the boot commands edit screen,
            highlight the line which starts with /kernel/ and press "e"
            again
            - Add "single" to the end of the line, so it will look like
            this:
            /kernel /vmlinuz-kernel-version ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
            single/
            - Press "Enter" to save the changes
            - Press "b" to boot in single user mode.
            Your system will begin loading and, at some point, you will
            be presented with a root bash prompt.
            - In the new prompt type *passwd* and choose a new password
            for root.
            - When done, type *reboot* to restart the system. After
            reboot, GRUB will be back to normal so no further
            modifications are required.

            *NOTE*: If you are asked for the root password before
            dropping you in a bash prompt in single user mode, you
            should follow the instructions above
            and append *single init=/bin/bash* to the kernel line, not
            just /single/.

Bob