RPM weirdness

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Dec 10 22:30:13 UTC 2006

Alas it doesn't.  In fact, there's very little on configuration files,
and nothing on .rpmnew files in particular.

Hmmm:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2003-May/msg00426.html

Quoting:

>The .rpmnew suffix is added if a file to be installed is marked with
>"%config(noreplace)" and the local file is modified wrto the original
>md5sum. Basically the incoming file is installed as "foo.rpmnew" rather
>than "foo".
>
> [...]

>Note that more than md5sum is involved, there's also mtime, user, group,
>perms, and other stat(2) info that is involved in detecting "modified".

and that's what I suspected...  except that doing a "diff -c" shows the
files to be identical.  Therefore, their MD5 should be identical too,
unless it's not being calculated or stored correctly.  And "ls -l" shows
the permissions and dates to be identical as well (except for maybe
seconds which aren't shown by "ls -l").

And st_atime and st_ctime should be ignored...

So I'm stumped.

-Philip