nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Mon Dec 11 01:01:38 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Hadders wrote:
>
>> Hi people,
>>   I'm just wondering why the Linux group prefers the livna kmod-nvidia
>> driver for Linux over nVidias downloadable driver?
>>

> I don't.  So, better to rephrase your question.  Why do *some* people.....

This is a good question.  I'm stuck at the base FC5 kernel until I can
make an initrd for the latest kernel that works with my Intel SATA RAID
container, yes I know I should be using software RAID, but I'm sharing
this container between Vista, XP and Linux.  Of course this makes life
hard for me. ;-)
However, I can't find an old kmod-nvidia-smp that matches my kernel.  So
I'm thinking I may as well just go get the Linux drivers from nvidia and
do it the "old" way.

Then I thought, how many people use livna's drivers?  why isn't nvidia
running a yum repository and doing the same thing?