nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Dec 11 00:19:17 UTC 2006

Hadders wrote:
> Hi people,
>   I'm just wondering why the Linux group prefers the livna kmod-nvidia
> driver for Linux over nVidias downloadable driver?
>
> Is it because linva offers kernel specific versions? with smp?
>
> Just curious, not trying to start a war here ;-)
>
> Hadders

What was stated (or something close to the words) by some that work with
the X server is that NVidia installer version will overwrite files from
the Mesa package or put it in a location which is not the norm. The
Livna version of the drivers are supposed to place the files in the
appropriate place and not overwrite mesa libraries and other packages files.

Jim

--
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw a lot of
rubbish into it.