nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

spmirowski spmirowski at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 11 02:31:24 UTC 2006

> I suppose you could argue that it's to much work for nvidia to support
> one of the largest Linux distros. However, they seem to handle
> supporting Windows okay, but then again, there's a much larger market
> share and I'm sure there's a greater financial incentive.
>
> It would be nice to see nVidia support FC by incorporating livna, but
> then again, I also understand it's easier for them from many many
> perspectives to make the drivers available and let the distro fend for
> itself.

It would be silly to expect a nVidia to support a few distros
specifically with
packages.  To support FC, they would need to build at least two version
(5 and 6)
then 586, or 686 kernels, plus SMP, etc.  Now add a couple more popular
distros
and you have what 10 - 20 builds per driver version?  What about the
near most
popular distros.  They will whine and cry foul.

The nVidia installer as it is right now, seems to work with any distro,
I believe that
is the best way to do it at this time.  One package to rule them all
(sorry aboot that).
If you don't like how default installer runs, extract the package and
get it done the
way you want it to be done.

Now, if you can convince the Linux community to stop forking and making
a new
distro for every little difference, then amalgamate the remaining 2000
or so
distros into 3, then I might have a change of heart on that topic.

BTW, thanks nVidia for fixing the GeForce 3 bug with the 9631s =)

Stephen