nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Mon Dec 11 03:41:32 UTC 2006

> It would be silly to expect a nVidia to support a few distros
> specifically with
> packages.  To support FC, they would need to build at least two
> version (5 and 6)
> then 586, or 686 kernels, plus SMP, etc.  Now add a couple more
> popular distros
> and you have what 10 - 20 builds per driver version?  What about the
> near most
> popular distros.  They will whine and cry foul.
>
> The nVidia installer as it is right now, seems to work with any
> distro, I believe that
> is the best way to do it at this time.  One package to rule them all
> (sorry aboot that).
> If you don't like how default installer runs, extract the package and
> get it done the
> way you want it to be done.
>
> Now, if you can convince the Linux community to stop forking and
> making a new
> distro for every little difference, then amalgamate the remaining 2000
> or so
> distros into 3, then I might have a change of heart on that topic.
>
> BTW, thanks nVidia for fixing the GeForce 3 bug with the 9631s =)
>
> Stephen

Yeah, the more I think about it the more complex the situation for them
becomes. You're right about the other distros crying foul if they
started to favour a few.
It's funny how fanatical everyone can get about these things.

I love some things about Fedora and Linux in general, other things I
loathe.  Recently I had a play with Ubuntu and was impressed at how much
easier it was for a general/novice user.  I still think there's a place
in the world for the Internet Appliance, as people like my parents do
nothing but the occasional browse and email, which is why I gave them
Ubuntu.  They don't care about Flash support, MP3 playback, video codecs
and 99% of the stuff that becomes a headache. heck, they still have a
modem and are happy that way (anyway I digress, sorry)

I guess nvidia have done the easiest thing they can, which is provide a
base and let the fanatics do what they will.