Old livna kmod

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Mon Dec 11 04:23:04 UTC 2006

Mauriat Miranda wrote:
> On 12/10/06, Hadders <fedora at workingwithit.com> wrote:
>>   I'm just wondering how I get an old kernel module from livna kmod?
>>
>> I need to get the module for 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp, how would I go that?
>
> Sorry but I think this is impossible. I don't think that module ever
> existed.
>
> The 2.6.15-1.2054 kernel in FC5 shipped with a tiny bug that prevented
> binary (non-GPL) modules from properly loading. This included the
> nvidia driver.
>
> As I recall 2.6.16-1.2080 was the first FC5 kernel that livna supported.
>
>> A  yum --enablerepo livna list kmod-nvidia only shows me the installed
>> ones and that latest one.
>
> In general I think that livna will package the latest drivers against
> the latest kernel. This will in general skip several combinations of
> kernels and drivers.
>
> You are better off manually compiling the driver. However in this case
> you might have problem because of the broken kernel.
>
> The other recommendation is to download the livna SRC.rpm and slightly
> modify it for your kernel. This is pretty easy.
>
> -Mauriat
>
> ps. The problem with the kernel could be easily fixed if you insert a
> stubbed print_tainted definition in one of the .c files.

Thanks for the tip.  However, I plan to escape the stock kernel! ;-)

I just need to work out why the latest kernel doesn't have an initrd
that supports my RAID container.  There must be some reason as to why
the stock one works, but the latest doesn't?

A person over on the ata.raid mailing list has suggested a method for
deactivating/activating the container  then rebuilding the initrd for
the kernel.