logwatch failing on mail to user

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 11 03:42:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 00:59 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I've put my email address in the mailto line in the logwatch
> configuration
> file, and it appears to be trying, but fails. The errors look like
> this:
>
> The original message was received at Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:17:08 -0500
> from localhost [127.0.0.1]

> <claudejones at verizon.net>

> <claudejones at verizon.net>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
> relay.verizon.net.
> Message could not be delivered for 5 days
> Message will be deleted from queue
>
> --kB82IrDn013398.1165544458/localhost.localdomain
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain
> Arrival-Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:17:08 -0500
>
> Final-Recipient: RFC822; claudejones at verizon.net
> Action: failed

You'll want to configure your sendmail so that the address it posts
*FROM* is recognised as valid to the outside world.  No well-set-up ISP
SMTP server is going to let you send an e-mail apparently coming from
root at localhost.localdomain, no matter what "TO" address you've used.

Do you know how to configure sendmail?  If so, that information should
get you started.  Or you can read about the masquerade options, to
figure it out.  Write back if you need to.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.