logwatch failing on mail to user

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 11 04:31:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 23:19 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun December 10 2006 10:42 pm, Tim wrote:
> > You'll want to configure your sendmail so that the address it posts
> > *FROM* is recognised as valid to the outside world.  No well-set-up ISP
> > SMTP server is going to let you send an e-mail apparently coming from
> > root at localhost.localdomain, no matter what "TO" address you've used.
> >
> > Do you know how to configure sendmail?  If so, that information should
> > get you started.  Or you can read about the masquerade options, to
> > figure it out.  Write back if you need to.
>
> I've moved in the past 6 months into my first home - after nearly 60 years of
> living as a renter, I'm now dealing with all the viccisitudes of home
> ownership. Since I posted my problem, we had a pretty nasty cold front move
> in to my area, and I've been dealing with multiple problems having to do with
> containing heat in a structure that was built over 40 years before I was
> born, so I haven't had much time to work on this.
>
> What's puzzling to me is that the configuration I'd been using no longer
> works. I tried editing the sendmail configuration file, but I'm not sure I
> did it correctly - those entries weren't so self evident. For example, the
> line that was suggested be edited by someone looks like this:
>
> dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs to
> dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
> dnl #
> dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
>
> First, I don't understand what those 'dnl' acronyms stand for
----
I would presume Do Not Load (i.e. a comment). Sendmail.mc needs dnl at
the end of each line that has config data and dnl at the start of each
line with config data that isn't appropriate
----
> Secondly, it seems to be saying to uncomment a line that's already uncommented
> Third, I did try putting my provider in place of the 'smtp.your.provider' but
> that didn't accomplish anything
----
You need to use your smtp server suggested by your Internet Service
Provider. For example, in my area served by Cox Cable, the line would
look like...

define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.west.cox.net')dnl

of course I am doing this from memory since I use postfix these days.

Craig