Rebuild initrd to get dev-mapper working

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Mon Dec 11 05:45:06 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 13:17 +0800, Hadders wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>   I'm very close to getting my new hardware setup working. It kinda does.
>>
>> I'm using the Intel SATA RAID to get RAID 0,  Grub as a boot manager,
>> have installed XP and copied my existing FC5 setup "over" to the new
>> container.
>>
>> I can boot into this new setup, but only with the stock Kernel. When I
>> try the latest Kernel, the device mapper doesn't work and as such, the
>> system can't find the filesystems.
>> Over on the ata.raid list, someone has suggested that I run the following:
>>
>>  > dmraid -a n && dmraid -a y
>> Which deactivates/activates the RAID container in one go?
>> Then rebuild the initrd for the latest kernel I have (but not running)
>>
>> I would assume the safest place to run this command would be from
>> runlevel 1?
>>
>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
> ----
> can't think of any reason that runlevel would matter since initrd is
> loaded only upon boot.
>
> The way I would probably handle it on my system...
>
> mkinitrd initrd-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.img.custom 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5
> cp initrd-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.img initrd-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.img.saved
> mv initrd-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.img.custom initrd-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5.img
>
> Though I have learned to check the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf to
> make certain that things are the way that I want before I execute
> mkinitrd
>
> Craig

I was thinking about the runlevel because I was going to blink the RAID
container out/in of existence briefly, figuring the less things running,
the less likely something might complain.

When I download the latest kernel and install it through yum/rpm
process, does an initrd get built automatically?

Thanks