logwatch failing on mail to user

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Dec 11 08:11:57 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> OK - I forgot one thing. I get the following when I run the 'make'
> command after changing the sendmail.mc file:
>
> make -C /etc/mail
> make: Entering directory `/etc/mail'
> WARNING: 'sendmail.mc' is modified. Please install package sendmail-cf to
> update your configuration.
> make: Leaving directory `/etc/mail'
>
> I'm not sure what it means. Specifically, what do they mean by
> 'install package sendmail-cf'? Is that a command they are telling me
> to run? I guess that would make sense, but if so, do I have to run
> that in a certain directory? That word 'package' is throwing me off,
> because, presumably, I already have that package installed...

That's a large part of the trouble I'll bet.  To generate sendmail.cf
from sendmail.m4 you need to install the sendmail-cf rpm (package is
as in rpm package in the error message).  Without this your changes to
sendmail.m4 don't do anything.

yum install sendmail-cf and then try the make command again.  If that
proceeds without error, restart sendmail and see if that changes
things.

From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere.
    -- Dr. Seuss, One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish