local DNS server

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 10:29:31 UTC 2006

On 11/12/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 12:34 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I've heard that one could run a local DNS server to speed up internet
> > access. Does this have a real-world advantage for a home user?
>
> It can, if your ISP's DNS servers are crap (some are - my last couple of
> ISP's were).

Actually, I suspect that my university's DNS servers are crap. Often
at the university, ten minutes will go by where I cannot reach certain
sites, but others I can reach.

> > As I understand it, the first time I go to www.example.com it would
> > have to contact the ISP's DNS servers to find the address, so there is
> > not advantage, but the next time it should be cached. Is this
> > accurate?
>
> That's true.  The same thing applies to the ISP's DNS servers.  If
> you're looking up addresses that no-one else has, or if it's cached data
> has been purged in the meantime.
>
> Of course, your subsequent queries are going to get faster responses,
> and if the server is on your network, that's going to be faster than
> your ISP's, especially if you're on dial-up.
>
> Another advantage is if you run a network of computers.  You can
> dispense with messing with the hosts files on all of them.

How much drive space does this occupy? I've become very consious of
drive space, not that I have any particular problems with +- gigs
free, but I'd like to know.

Thanks.

http://lyricslist.com/