no such device address

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Mon Dec 11 11:43:24 UTC 2006

Hadders wrote:
> Hi all,
>  Trying to get my Intel SATA RAID Container working with the latest
> kernel.
>
> In runlevel 1, if I do a mkinitrd I get the error message:
>
> device-mapper: deps ioctl failed: No such device or address
> _deps: task run failed for (253:0)
>
> Not sure what to do?
>
> Thanks for any advice. Hadders

Have an update. I downloaded the source for dmraid, rc13 and installed
it for my machine. Still have the same problem though.
Detailed message at boot is:

device-mapper: table: 253:0: striped: Couldn't parse stripe destination
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
device-mapper: reload ioctrl failed: No such device or address
Unable to determine geometry of file/device
dev/mapper/isw_bdbbdbcbda_MyRAID0
You should not use Parted unless you REALLY know what you're doing!
Unable to open /dev/mapper/isw_bdbbdbcbda_MyRAID0 - unrecognised disk label.

he he, I like the part about using parted. Funny thing is I didn't! I
used fdisk and made things the "old fashioned" way.

So, I'm running device-mapper 4.5.0 for FC5, is there a newer version?!

Help!