local DNS server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 11 12:30:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 13:48 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> But I'm sure that the records themselves must get huge. Not the
> program, but the data.

No.  There's not a lot of data in a record file, and it's generally only
your own authoritative data that's stored on disc (unless you configure
otherwise).  Looked-up records are cached in RAM.

Here's an example record for an entire domain:

  -------- begin example -------

$TTL    86400
@                       IN SOA  localhost root.lan.example.com (
                                        42              ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum
                        IN NS           localhost
                        A       192.168.1.2
                        MX      1 mail.lan.example.com.
andy                    A       192.168.1.10
caan                    CNAME   roar
clock                   CNAME   time
default                 CNAME   www
finger                  CNAME   server
ftp                     CNAME   server
gateway                 CNAME   router
gales                   A       192.168.1.2
gonzo                   A       192.168.1.11
hear                    A       192.168.1.3
imap                    CNAME   mail
jabber                  CNAME   server

  -------- end example --------

The last 12 lines are the records for particular hosts in that domain,
and you can see that it's only a tiny bit of data per host.

I read messages from the public lists.