ssh forwarding behaviour ipv6 and localhost?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:38:40 UTC 2006

Hi,

(Got this working, but slightly confused as to what happened)

I upgraded to FC6 over the weekend and found that my normal
port forwarding trick to get Samba access to my home machine
through a proxy stopped working, before I had something like
this (running cygwin ssh):
ssh -L 10.0.0.1:139:atlas:139 ian at 10.0.0.1 -f -N -i somekey

(The strange forwarding from 10.0.0.1 is to overcome the
fact that Windows will only try this port for Samba. The
login at 10.0.0.1 is because I have to forward ssh over a proxy).
But this started giving me connection refused messages.

Trying Putty gave the same result, I also had a go at
localhost instead to see if I'd done something funny to my
hostname. No success. However, using 127.0.0.1 explicitly
works:

ssh -L 10.0.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 ian at 10.0.0.1 -f -N -i somekey

Is fine, what I want to know is does this have something to
do with IPV6?  Either somewhere in samba or in sshd?

$ cat /etc/hosts
::1     atlas.millroad  atlas   localhost.localdomain   localhost

I'm also having a problem with vnc, running a vnc server
on localhost I can connect to it from a windows machine,
but not from localhost. Could this be related? (Tried
with and without compiz, but I haven't done enough work
on it yet to describe the problem properly.)

--
imalone