Rebuild initrd to get dev-mapper working

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Dec 11 16:04:48 UTC 2006

Hadders wrote:
<snip>
> Then I can't see how this will solve my problem, theoretically.
>
> I was running the stock kernel, the RAID container was working, I
> downloaded and installed the latest kernel, rebooted and it couldn't
> mount root.
>
> Hmmm, I will try anyway, because I'm not sure what else I can do.

A remote possibility is that if mkinitrd was updated at the same time
the new kernel was available, then going back to the mkinitrd version in
effect at the time of the working kernel *may* help (as long as the
problem is not in the new kernel itself).

rpm -U --oldpackage mkinitrd-<previous version>.rpm

If nash was updated also, then also:
rpm -U --oldpackage nash-<version that goes with previous mkinitrd>.rpm

Then rerun mkinitrd.

HTH, good luck.
--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)