FC4 -> FC6 dvd writer not detected

Douglas Phillipson phillipd at oem.doe.gov
Mon Dec 11 17:11:32 UTC 2006

After I upgraded to FC6 my DVD writer was no longer detected, I suspect
because I had to comment out a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
to get my machine to boot.  What can I do to get the DVD detected and
the device made for it, after the machine is booted.  Because I had to
comment out the following line in 50-udev.rules:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="?*", ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*",
RUN+="/sbin/modprobe $env{MODALIAS}"

I had to put: "/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1"  in /etc/rc.local for my
sound card driver to be loaded.  I assume I need another modprobe
command for my DVD, I just don't know what it is...

Thanks

Doug p