cpu overheating

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 18:15:15 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I ran "yum update", when it started to install the updates it
> said something like cpu 0 overheating cpu 1 overheating. Then my
> screen went black for a second and the next thing I new is I was at
> the login screen.
>
> Having problems like this in Linux is unacceptable. That could have
> caused major damage. Things like this need to be worked out. Linux
> needs to focus more on the here and now and not keep pushing for the
> newest technology.
>
> Don't get me wrong I think Linux is a gem. I like the GPL but I don't
> like how company's can use people's software and make profit. The
> people that make the software should be getting paid if anyone is
> getting paid.
>
> Once again, things like this are unacceptable. I am afraid to use
> Fedora 6 now. I alos, have am having problems after a clean
> installation.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mike

Have you considered that maybe your CPU was realy over heating and
Linux didn't have much to do with it?

Similiar happened to me recently, post a kernel upgrade. I thought it
was the new kernel, turned out that the CPU was over heating. I
cleaned up the dust and put in a new CPU fan with new thermal gel. Now
I'm running cooler than before.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud