cpu overheating

Mike Chalmers mikechalmers70 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 18:48:44 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
> > On 12/12/06, Mike Chalmers <mikechalmers70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> When I ran "yum update", when it started to install the updates it
> >> said something like cpu 0 overheating cpu 1 overheating. Then my
> >> screen went black for a second and the next thing I new is I was at
> >> the login screen.
> >>
> >> Having problems like this in Linux is unacceptable. That could have
> >> caused major damage. Things like this need to be worked out. Linux
> >> needs to focus more on the here and now and not keep pushing for the
> >> newest technology.
> >>
> >> Don't get me wrong I think Linux is a gem. I like the GPL but I don't
> >> like how company's can use people's software and make profit. The
> >> people that make the software should be getting paid if anyone is
> >> getting paid.
> >>
> >> Once again, things like this are unacceptable. I am afraid to use
> >> Fedora 6 now. I alos, have am having problems after a clean
> >> installation.
> >>
> >> Kind Regards,
> >> Mike
> >>

> > Have you considered that maybe your CPU was realy over heating and
> > Linux didn't have much to do with it?
> >
> > Similiar happened to me recently, post a kernel upgrade. I thought it
> > was the new kernel, turned out that the CPU was over heating. I
> > cleaned up the dust and put in a new CPU fan with new thermal gel. Now
> > I'm running cooler than before.
>
> Recently installed FC6 on an old P-III 500MHz.  At first, it would
> reliably do thermal shutdowns during the dependency resolution step.  Also
> did shutdowns during memtest86.
>
> I swapped the CPU package from one of the two slots to the other (tried to
> get airflow across the package back and probably shook out some dust) and
> it's been fine ever since.
>
> --
>                 Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs
>
> --

I will try dusting it off. I still don't know why it would have never
happened before. Matthew, what kind of fan did you use? Price is not
an option on the fan, because that is important. But not to high. Does
anyone recommend thermoelectric cooling?

What is a reliable shutdown? I don't think the screen going black then
returning me to the is a reliable shutdown, is it?

I don't think letting it overheat again is a good idea. It could break
it. It is Intel P4 HT 3.0 ghz processor. Can't afford to lose that. If
I did run update again and the cpu overheated, wouldn't that mean it
was Linux?

Kind Regards,
Preston