cpu overheating

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 11 19:34:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Mike Chalmers wrote:

> On 12/11/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>> Recently installed FC6 on an old P-III 500MHz.  At first, it would
>> reliably do thermal shutdowns during the dependency resolution step.  Also
>> did shutdowns during memtest86.
>>
>> I swapped the CPU package from one of the two slots to the other (tried to
>> get airflow across the package back and probably shook out some dust) and
>> it's been fine ever since.
>
> I will try dusting it off. I still don't know why it would have never
> happened before. Matthew, what kind of fan did you use? Price is not
> an option on the fan, because that is important. But not to high. Does
> anyone recommend thermoelectric cooling?

This machine has a case fan at the end of a plastic tunnel that draws air
past the CPU package slots.  It doesn't have a heat-sink fan.

> What is a reliable shutdown? I don't think the screen going black then
> returning me to the is a reliable shutdown, is it?

"Reliable" in the sense that it was not intermittent.  My BIOS has a
setting that will force power off when thermal violations are detected.
That's what was doing the shutdown.

> I don't think letting it overheat again is a good idea. It could break
> it. It is Intel P4 HT 3.0 ghz processor. Can't afford to lose that. If
> I did run update again and the cpu overheated, wouldn't that mean it
> was Linux?

Linux may make your CPU work hard, but it shouldn't cause it to overheat
if the hardware is otherwise OK.  See the other posts in this thread.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu