Backup and Restore MBR

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 20:39:21 UTC 2006

Les wrote:
>    It has been decades since I looked at the disk structure.  I am
> curious about the current "state of the art".  Can you recommend some
> (heavy?) reading?

That's odd -- the PC partition structure is a couple of decades old.
You're probably up to date.

As far as I can see, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Boot_Record and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table are accurate. GPT is
not yet used except on high end servers and Intel-based Apple Macs --
since the existing PC partition structure has a hard disk size limit of
2 TB, this will have to change soon. (Yes, that also means it can't
support RAID arrays with more usable space than 2 TB).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
aprilcottage.co.uk | walks on water. Although it's true that Barry Cryer runs