Monitor destroyed by install

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 11 22:17:34 UTC 2006

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> At 10:59 AM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
>
>> There isn't even a software capability to make that occur.
>

> There is a warning in the monitor docs not to set the frequency and
> resolution out of range, as it can cause physical damage to the monitor.

Has that old thing come back? I thought we got rid of that when
EGA monitors came out in the bad old days. I recall malware which
*deliberately* burnt out monochrome and CGA monitors. Supposedly,
EGA monitors had built-in guards to prevent that. Perhaps a case
of "Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat its
mistakes."

> The monitor was definitely working before the FC6 install, and
> definitely not afterward. During the install, the screen went blank and
> stopped responding to any signal (not just Linux).
>
>>  What is the bug#
>

> I did report this as a bug, #218416.

Hmm. Sounds like a defect in the *monitor*, not the *software*,
to me, and I'd have taken the monitor back and demanded a full
refund if I saw that warning. (Before I connected it to a computer.)

Just my $0.02 worth.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.