Monitor destroyed by install

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net ols6000 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 11 23:12:21 UTC 2006

Les <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
>I have destroyed several monitors this way (I have been programming
>a long time, and hacked a lot in my early years), but I never saw
>the interface itself go bad.  What happened was that the flyback
>(the circuit that produces the high voltage for the CRT) will
>collapse and cause a voltage spike taking out the diodes, the screen
>goes black and that's it.

Sorry to disappoint you, guys, but this is a modern LCD monitor. My
point is this: when the monitor interface card + monitor is operated
properly, as it has been by Windows XP, everything works fine. When
operated improperly, as by Fedora 6, the monitor ceases to work. The
monitor fails on another video card, and a different monitor works on
this one, so I know the problem is in the monitor, and not in the
video card or BIOS settings.

Exactly how FC6 destroyed the monitor is not important; the fact is,
it did happen, and it should not.