cpu overheating

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 12 03:19:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 21:58 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> In Linux I had the terminal open while I was browsing and my computer
> beeped. I wondered what had happened so I looked at the terminal to
> see if there was anything going on. And it said something like CPU 0
> temperature high (or something like that) CPU 1 temperature high.

What is it that tells you that information?  I wonder if it's the
infamous lm_sensors, with its uncalibrated (*) sensor readings.  On one
of my systems I have some things with negative temparatures, and others
well over boiling point.  They're wrong, of course.

* It's not really its fault, there isn't any reliable way to calibrate
the readings.  You'd have to get voltage probes out and work out that
when some rail reading says 4.6 for the sensor, but it's actually 5.1,
that a conversion needs to be done on the figures.  Likewise with
temperatures and other readings.

My advice would be to turn off lm_sensors, and turn on temperature
warnings in your BIOS.  At least the manufacturer ought to know how to
read the sensors in the board that they built.  I've got at least a
couple of boxes set up that way, a beeps if it gets too warm, and will
shut down if it gets too hot.  They also protect themselves even if the
OS has crashed.

I read messages from the public lists.