cpu overheating

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 12 07:12:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 20:03 -0800, Les wrote:
> As to the statement that faulty software could cause it, perhaps, but
> it would be a real fluke, because as I said lots of things get in the
> way in a real normal system.  Such a software bug would have to
> disable lots of hardware besides the processor to create that kind of
> havoc.

I'd say it's more likely that bad software might expose a flaw in a
system, such as cooling that was never going to work adequately when the
CPU was running at full steam, than it actually be able to cook it.

It's probably a fair bet that there's a lot of CPU coolers that are just
inadequate.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.