local DNS server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 12 09:20:13 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> Remember that a lot of look-ups are going to be to do with web browsing,
>> where (for DNS that is working well) the tiny amounts of time involved
>> in resolving an address is nothing compared to the general lethargicness
>> of web browsers rendering pages.

Dotan Cohen:
> That's true. Have you seen the KillerNIC? (OT)

Don't think so, the term's doesn't sound familiar.

Dotan Cohen:
>>> Looks like it can be made about half it's own size if white space is removed.

>> Much of that is tabs, not spaces, so it's smaller than it looks.  I
>> think we're past the days of 4 meg 386 boxes, where you needed to be
>> concerned about whether a file was using 5 or 10k of space.

> I'm frugal :)

So, remove about six tabs at the start of the file...  It only needs
white space between some parameters, it doesn't *need* several of
them.  ;-)

>> Just looking through my /var/named/ directory, where such files are
>> kept, the main one's 1.6kB, there's a few around 198 Bytes, and my one
>> filled with domains to get no answers for (doubleclick, etc.) is only
>> 186 Bytes.

> Want to share that one with me?

I don't do a great deal of web browsing, so I've only bothered to stick
a few common annoyances into my DNS server.  Some of them are very old,
I don't know if they still exist.

This is in the named.conf file:

## advert blocking:

zone "adimages.com"             { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "admonitor.com"            { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "adsfac.net"               { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "advertising.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "amazingmedia.com"         { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "casalemedia.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "clickagents.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "commission-junction.com"  { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "doubleclick.net"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "doubleclick.com"          { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "adwords.google.com"       { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "googlesyndication.com"    { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "fastclick.net"            { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "infospace.com"            { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "mediaplex.com"            { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "msads.com"                { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "ads.optusnet.com.au"      { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "qksrv.net"                { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "ads.x10.com"              { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
zone "adserver.yahoo.com"       { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };
#zone "yimg.com"                { type master; file  "dead.zone"; };

And this is the dead.zone file:

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     ns.localdomain.  hostmaster.mail.localdomain. (
                        200 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; ttl
                        )

        IN      NS      ns.localdomain.

Yep, that's the whole thing (9 or 10 lines worth, if you want to get rid
of a carriage return).  Look-ups for any of the above domains, or
sub-domains of them, result in an instant "no answer" answer.  This one
DNS server does the job for all the PCs on the network.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.