cpu overheating

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Tue Dec 12 10:27:53 UTC 2006

Mike Chalmers wrote:

> My cpu just overheated again while I was using Linux. This time I was
> browsing the web. I am back into Windows to post this. It does not
> over heat in Windows. I am not saying Windows is better just because
> of this, and I am not saying that Linux causes cpu's to overheat
> easier.

I missed the start of this thread, but I used to have heat problems on
my laptop, even when seemingly not doing anything significant. I got
"CPU modulated" messages on the console, like I think you are.

To cut a long story short:

* the base problem was my laptop - the CPU heatsink was clogged with
dust. Once I took it to pieces and cleaned it, it was OK. What other
people here have said about thermal problems being the underlying
*cause* and software just triggering *symptoms* is true.

* it was often triggered by anaconda running in the background,
triggering the updatedb script (which is quite HD and CPU intensive).
The same thing could probably happen with yum-updatesd too.

Tim