problem with samba...

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Tue Dec 12 15:19:55 UTC 2006

Today Mikkel L. Ellertson did spake thusly:

> Scott van Looy wrote:
>> Samba can't find my "users" group. And when I do "groups" it doesn't
>> show up here either. It was added using system-config-users
>>
>> From the groups man page:
>
> groups - print the groups a user is in

I know. I'm in this group.

> It looks like you are not part of the users group. If you want to
> see if there is a group called users, try running:
>
> grep users /etc/group

And there is. (users:x:558:username1,username2, etc) That's why I'm
posting here.

>> I actually removed the existing group and replaced it with the
>> system-config-users generated one.
>>
> Unless you added the users to the group after you created it,

I did.

> chances are that the group users does not have any members. When you
> deleted the users group, you removed all the members at the same
> time.

I know.

> Re-creating the group does not put them back.

I know.

> I would also
> expect that the group you added has a different group ID then the
> old one.

Yes. It does. I've changed users' home directories to reflect this

Any other ideas?

>> This problem has only manifested itself today, it was previously working
>> fine.
>>
> <-------------------[ SNIP ]------------------>
>>
>> Have I done something wrong? Or is there a bug? Or has something changed
>> in the way the config works?
>>
> Deleting a re-creating a group needs to be done with care. Linux
> uses the GID (number), and not the group name for things like group
> ownership of files. Unless you look at the GID before deleting the
> group, and specify the same GID when re-creating the group, you run
> the risk of leaving files/directories with GIDs that do not map to a
> group name.

I know. I have recreated the group and changed permissions accordingly. I
did this "by the book" so as to see if the error was still apparent.

> When did this stop working, and exactly what error message are you
> seeing?

Samba stopped working *before* I deleted and recreated the group, that's
why I did it.

> I suspect that it started when you deleted and re-created
> the users group, and Samba is complaining that it can not access the
> files/directories with group users. If that is the case, then you
> will need to delete the users group, and re-create it with the old
> GID, or change the group on the directories to the new users GID.

Which I've done. Any other ideas?

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003