Machine hosed. Hang on uncompress kernel

Mark Hutchinson mark at onnow.net
Tue Dec 12 17:42:20 UTC 2006

upgraded fc5-fc6 with yum.  Old FC5 and 2798 kernel work fine.  Hangs
on "uncompressing Linux" in boot sequence with latest 2849 kernel
after yum update.

FC6 working fine, upgraded to latest kernel, now it hangs at
"uncompressing Linux"
The orig kernel is working fine if I choose it in the grub menu.  I
have checked that the GRUB entry is fine and the referenced boot files
are there.

Any one else seen this, or have any idea how to diagnose?  I have rpm
-e the new kernel and put it back in with -ivh ( keep old kernel ) and
no luck.  I am using kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.i686.rpm

Thoughts?