Monitor destroyed by install

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Dec 12 17:47:33 UTC 2006

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:
> At 08:52 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
>> I'm confused, does the monitor work under XP, or not?  If so, then
>> it's not really destroyed, is it?
>
> No, it *no longer* works under XP. Before the install, it worked fine
> under XP. For the first few screens of the install, it also worked OK.
> Then it stopped working, under either FC6 or XP.

So it was, at one point, displaying an image, and then it suddenly shut
off?  That doesn't sound like a bad signal.  Bad sync rates won't stress
a monitor and then make it shut off, they'll never display properly.  At
least, I've never heard otherwise.

You said that the monitor works under FC6 if you "fool" X into thinking
there's a monitor there?  How do you do that?  When you do, can you go
into the monitor's menu and see what the refresh rates are?  Are they
within the monitors specs?