mystery of ofrmating evolution signatures.

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 12 17:56:19 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> In what form do you have to put the signature file in evolution so it is
> formatted properly when its displayed in the message.
>
> I have done mine somehow by trial and error but my method is very
> screwy. There must be a better way. Does anyone know what it is?

The regular static signatures that I have, I have put in via the Evo
GUI. In looking at the files in ~/.evolution/signatures, they all appear
to be normal text files, with regular line breaks, etc.

I do have a couple of scripts that I use rarely, mainly just examples of
dynamically generated sigs. One of them is in Perl:

#!/usr/bin/perl

# get current kernel version
$version = `uname -r`;

# get current uptime
$uptime = `uptime`;

# get ram
$ram = `cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal`;

# get cpu
$cpu = `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"`;

# Linux Version
$ lv = `cat /etc/fedora-release`;

# version string has built-in newline.
print "--<br>";
print "$lv - Kernel: $version<br>";
print "$cpu<br>";
print "$ram<br>";
print "$uptime<br>";

exit(0);

The above then generates:

--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Kernel: 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
model name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

HTH,

Marc Schwartz