cpu overheating

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 12 20:51:11 UTC 2006

Roo wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:42:43 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>You completely missed my point. Dismissing this as "well, your hardware
>>shouldn't do that" is
>>
>>S-T-U-P-I-D
>>
>>because, even though it means the hardware is marginal at best, it is a
>>hint that
>>
>>THERE MAY BE A DEFECT IN THE SOFTWARE.
>

> What the hell are you going on about?

See my other reply to you.

> One of the soak tests I used to do on PCs that I shipped out to people was
> running them at full CPU utilisation for 24 hours. If your machine gets

Fine. His machine has, at best, marginal cooling. In fact, he
may have clogged fins on his heatsinks. I haven't argued against that.

> too hot because it is doing something CPU intensive... then your machine
> is faulty. I don't know whether Linux is being too picky about the

I haven't argued against that.

> temperature and Windows isn't... but you are simply talking out of your
> arse here. Saying that software which fully utilises the CPU has a DEFECT
> is witless drivelling of the worst kind.

It is not, because Linux is not intended to utilize the CPU like that.
My machine normally runs 4% to 8% utilization, most of that being
in X.

Saying that about an arbitrary piece of software would be silly.

My suggestion is simply to find out whether his CPU is being consumed.
If it is, then we can find out what is consuming it. If that is some
application he runs which we know is CPU intensive, then that's what
we expected.

But if it is something which is not supposed to be CPU intensive, we
can investigate that.

What I suggest is finding out.

>>And that should not be ignored.
>>
>>My point wasn't that his or any CPU *should* be overheated by bad
>>software. My point was that hints that there might be a defect in the
>>software should not be ignored.
>
> Yes... they should... because you have no idea what you are talking about.
> Now if you want to discuss why you are seeing the warning on Linux and not
> on Windows, I suggest you start being more sensible.

I'll repeat this: I'm having no problem with my machine.

Next, I'll point out that what I've been suggesting is exactly that:
Let's find out why the machine is overheating. The first thing
I'd like to check is whether some application or kernel thread
is consuming an unexpectedly large amount of CPU.

Yes, he has a problem getting rid of heat. But why can't we at
least see whether X or some other software on his system
has gone crazy? Likely not, but if so, then we have a chance
to find out what it is and why it's crazy.

Also, he needs to see why his machine can't get rid of the heat.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.