cpu overheating

Mike Chalmers mikechalmers70 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:07:53 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Mike Wohlgemuth wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 06:38:15 -0600, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >>Yes, for the PC. The fact that many PCs are designed with marginal,
> >>at best, cooling is no secret at all. They are not designed to
> >>run with maximum CPU utilization 24/7. The GIMPS program, for example,
> >>is known to cause machines to overheat, and comes with a test for
> >>that particular effect. Many machines cannot participate in the GIMPS
> >>because of that. I suggest you research this well-known phenonmenon.
> >

> > How is this not a hardware problem? How would you propose that some
> > random piece of software that needs to do a CPU intensive task avoid
> > this problem? Why should any software developer feel compelled to write
> > bad code to cover up bad hardware design?
>
> Of course it's a hardware problem. I haven't said otherwise.
>
> I'd just like to find out what this "random" piece of software
> is. If we find that xinetd or X or clockapplet is consuming 94.6% of his
> CPU, is this not something worth knowing? OTOH, if we find that he
> is running GIMPS, well, we know that's going to heat up his system,
> and we can all forget about it.
>
> Then he needs to clean out his case. If that doesn't work, then
> he just has a marginal design, which is not uncommon.
>
> Mike
> --
> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
> You have found the bank of Larn.
> I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>
> --

Yes, the problem was caused by hardware. I cleaned out my computer,
and it was pretty bad. Besides the cooling the hardware is good. I am
waiting on some new hardware also, cpu fan and power supply, case fans
and a new case. That should fix this problem.

The question is why doesn't it do this on Windows when I run cpu
intensive apps. I believe in Windows that it was close to overheating
though.