Monitor destroyed by install

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 13 00:04:01 UTC 2006

Simply, for posterity, since the poster *claims* to have unsubscribed...

Tim:

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net:
> Plug and socket on the video card work with a different monitor.
> The DVI input stage on the monitor *does* work, if you trick the
> computer into thinking the DVI is active.

So, it's not broken as previously claimed...

>> It's more than likely that it's your computer hardware that killed it,
>> than the software that's on it.

> The hardware is under control of the sw.

Spurious argument.  Software isn't going to make a video output card
send damaging current out the socket, but a technical fault on the card
can.  And, as has been pointed out numerous times, despite the original
poster's unwillingness to listen, that they've grasped at the wrong
thing to blame.

>> Don't argue with an electronics engineer (i.e. myself) about diagnosing
>> technical faults, unless you happen to be one, too.

> FYI, I spend most of my time dx tech faults. Let me suggest that you
> do not attempt to "argue by authority" (i e, you should believe me
> because I'm an EE), but instead provide some useful suggestions.

They've been given, just because you don't like them doesn't mean that
they're not useful.  You've been steered away from the wrong direction
(video frequency is NOT going to damage a video input stage), but keep
heading back to it.  That's your problem, not ours.

>> Likewise, don't bite off the heads of other software people on the
>> list who might just know more than you do.

> So far, out of all the e-mails on this subject, I have not received
> one useful piece of information, nor has anyone acknowledged that
> there just might be something wrong with the sw.

You seem unwilling to believe that there might be something wrong with
your hardware.  You're unwilling to believe that people might actually
know more than you.  That's where your problem lay.

The software can only generate video at different frequencies, the
monitor can either display it, or not.  The monitor should either work,
or should not.  The monitor should not self destruct if it doesn't get
the frequencies it wants.  That's an operating condition that's common
across the world, and it will have to deal with.  And it's an issue that
really ceased to be once you change to a LCD monitor (it has no EHT
generated in a manner related to horizontal frequency, nor no deflection
scans that can only work safely at certain frequencies).

You are barking up the wrong tree, you need to modify your behaviour.
You can't blame others for your lack of understanding of the
circumstances.

What's an LCD monitor going to do when driven out of range?  Display a
scrambled picture, or switch to a blanked mode to look less ugly and be
able to possibly display a legible message about the problem on the
screen.  That's all that's going to happen.

> As a consequence, I am unsubscribing from the list.

Don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out...

I read messages from the public lists.