cpu overheating

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 13 00:15:21 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>>Overheating is always a failure of the cooling system.
>

> Mike McCarty:
>
>>I never said otherwise. Of course it is.
>

> Well, you were certainly arguing in that direction with my post that you
> got your knickers in a twist over.

It may have seemed so to you, but I was not. I won't suggest that you
re-read my posts, because that would be boring. But my only point along
the way was to find out why his CPU was overheating when running Linux
was because X might have gone crazy, or a kernel thread might be
bonkers. I was suggesting that after finding what, if any, unexpected
software behavior was taking place, then to try to find the hardware
problem.

Somehow, lack of diligence, overzealous delete key, or what, I missed
the fact that yum was running and that it is known that yum puts a
stress on the CPU. So, I went off on a tangent, since nobody seemed
to care why the CPU was being eaten.

I apologize again.

   I'd argued that whatever the reason
> for the overheating (faulty, or normal use of the computer), the cooling
> needed fixing.  You were *only* being concerned about what the computer
> was doing at the time.

I was concerned that (as it seemed to me) no one was concerned with
why the software load was causing heat rise in the CPU. The fact that
the heat rose /very much/ is a hardware problem. That it rose /at all/
is an indicator that some software is using inordinate amounts of CPU.

And I was concerned that nobody seemed to care. All they wanted to do
was clean out the case and make the machine run.

> It doesn't matter *why*, at that stage.  If the computer is overheating,
> the computer *is* overheating.  *That* has to be addressed, and the
> computer has to be built so it doesn't overheat, even if run at 100%
> continuously.

It does matter why if the reason the machine temp is rising is
a kernel thread gone amok.

Certainly, if possible, any physical problems with the machine
also need to be addressed. If the machine is just underdesigned,
then there is not much which can be done, otherwise the stuck
fan needs replacement, or the dirt needs removal, or etc.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.