package dependencies [was Re: cpu overheating]

Tom Horsley tomhorsley at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 13 00:21:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:42:54 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> But disregarding minimalism, there's still plenty of situations where a
> rather extensive installation won't need various things considered to be
> "required", but actually aren't.

For grins, try to remove "cdrecord" on a fedora system. If I have no
CDRW drive, you'd think I could live without it, but the dependencies say
it also has to remove lots of bits of gnome and even decides it has to
remove compiz (I was trying to get rid of excess baggage in a
Xen guest OS when I discovered this one).

Bet you never expected CD recording software was required to make your
windows wiggle :-).