cpu overheating

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 13 00:35:40 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Gordon Messmer:

> Tim:
>
>>>Nothing, it was part of another conversation:  A minimal, headless,
>>>X-less, server installation installing graphical library files.
>

> Gordon Messmer:
>
>>Oh.  Sorry, I missed some connection.  To address that, then:
>>
>># rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides libpng` | grep -v '^no '
>>cups-libs-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.11
>># rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides cups-libs` | grep -v '^no '
>>cups-1.1.22-0.rc1.9.11
>># rpm -q --whatrequires `rpm -q --provides cups` | grep -v '^no '
>>redhat-lsb-3.0-8.EL
>>
>>So, there you go.  "libpng" is needed by cups.  "cups" is needed for
>>LSB conformance.  That's why you have graphics libraries on a headless
>>server.
>

> But CUPS isn't *needed* on a PC.  Sure, you might want it if you're
> printing.  But there's going to be a plethora of boxes that don't need
> to print.  A headless HTTP server, or mail server, or new server, etc.,
> just being some of them.  They won't need to print, or be printed to.

CUPS isn't necessary to print, either. It is a convenient solution,
but others exist.

> Requiring CUPS is a bogus requirement.  Maybe CUPS should be a
> requirement if you're including printing support, but it shouldn't be,
> otherwise.

Possibly. Other print solutions exist.

> CUPS, being just one example of this mentality.  We could "require"
> BIND, because Linux does need to resolve hostnames, but we don't (don't
> require *it* as the solution).

Exactly. OTOH, trying to make everything work with every possible print
driver is not necessarily a good goal.

> Some people, and I don't mean you, but those putting together what they
> think is a minimal install list, have a strange idea about what minimal
> and required actually mean.

I suppose a "minimal required system" would be the kernel, the init
RAM disc, and tmpfs for /tmp. Not a very usable system. But when
you go beyond this, then you get into "minimal required to do <x>"
where <x> is some desired function. Everyone seems to have a different
set of <x> to put into there. I don't know of any objective means
to ascertain what <x> must contain.

> But disregarding minimalism, there's still plenty of situations where a
> rather extensive installation won't need various things considered to be
> "required", but actually aren't.  And that bloats out installations to
> the point that we needlessly have to get multi-gigabyte hard drives to
> do moderately basic installations.

I was amazed when I installed FC2. I didn't think I selected
all that much to install. It was about 7 Gig.

All systems seem enormously bloated to me these days. But I
started with computers when 4K of RAM was considered a lot.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.