mystery of formating evolution signatures.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 13 00:37:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 17:01 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I have two signatures (one defined through the EVOL GUI. But all I
> have in .evolution/signatures is a file called signature-0 which is
> empty.
>
> So I guess more clarification is needed. In my experience evolution
> ignores the cr I put in my signature file.

If you create the signature within the editor provided by Evolution, it
takes care of that for you.

If you write a signature outside of Evolution, then load it via the
Evolution preferences, you need to have created your signature in a
manner that *it* expects (HTML-like, where carriage returns are
ignored).  I think that applies whether it's a plain file or a script.
It certainly applies if it's a script.

HTML treats all white space (tabs, spaces, lines feeds, carriage
returns) as being a single white space (a blank space).  If you want
something else (carriage returns, multiple blank spaces, etc.), you've
got to deliberately do them via some other method than just typing them.

For examples and inforamtion Google search terms:  evolution signatures

That gets you a few things straight away.

I read messages from the public lists.