Monitor destroyed by install

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 13 00:44:05 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Simply, for posterity, since the poster *claims* to have unsubscribed...

[snip]

Sorry, I can't find the attribution for this little bit...

>>So far, out of all the e-mails on this subject, I have not received
>>one useful piece of information, nor has anyone acknowledged that
>>there just might be something wrong with the sw.
>

> You seem unwilling to believe that there might be something wrong with
> your hardware.  You're unwilling to believe that people might actually
> know more than you.  That's where your problem lay.
>
> The software can only generate video at different frequencies, the
> monitor can either display it, or not.  The monitor should either work,

To be pedantic, the software can only command the hardware to
produce the signals. If the hardware generated dangerous signals,
even that isn't the software's fault, as the card should not have
that capability. Also, the display should be able to withstand
any *reasonable* signal applied to its inputs.

I once saw an "RS232" connector which had raw, unfused AC on a couple
of the pins.

That's not what I mean. That's a case of the hardware being able to
generate unreasonable signals.

> or should not.  The monitor should not self destruct if it doesn't get
> the frequencies it wants.  That's an operating condition that's common

And that's it. I commented very early on in this thread that I thought
this problem went away with EGA monitors back in the old days. I would
have taken the monitor back right away if it told me to watch out for
connecting it to unsupported frequencies. That sounds like "weasel
words" for "You can forget your warrantee, we'll just claim that you
plugged it in wrong."

[snip]

>>As a consequence, I am unsubscribing from the list.
>

> Don't let the door hit you in the bum on the way out...

Weird. He was getting some good advice, too.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.