Old livna kmod

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Wed Dec 13 02:06:28 UTC 2006

>>> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3
>>> http://ftp.upjs.sk/pub/mirrors/rpm.livna.org/5/i386/
>>>
>>> Often mirrors will keep around old packages {sometimes by accident}.
>>> You might also like to try a kernel half way between that and
>>> current, to see whether a newer but not current kernel resolves the
>>> problem with the current kernel.
>>>
>>> Also, I have from my yum cache: {if you still cant find what you are
>>> after}
>>> kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-1.2.6.16_1.2122_FC5.i686.rpm
>>> kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.16_1.2133_FC5.i686.rpm
>>> kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.17_1.2145_FC5.i686.rpm
>>> kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.17_1.2157_FC5.i686.rpm
>>> kmod-nvidia-1.0.8774-1.2.6.17_1.2174_FC5.i686.rpm
>>>
>>> If you boot a non-smp kernel, you might be pleasantly surprised that
>>> other stuff might just work.
>>>
>>> DaveT.
>>>
>> Thanks, I'll give those a go and may just try some older kernels, but
>> I thought the kmod stuff came as two RPMs?
> On fc5/fc6 it is dkms {extras} which is the enabler. Then the package
> in question must be built to use dkms.
>
>> Hmmm, not sure I agree with your smp diagnosis. After all, if it
>> doesn't work, then we're in big trouble as practically every new
>> processor die now has two cores!
> Which work OK with the non-smp kernel in my experience. You might have
> noticed that the grub menu provides both the smp and non smp options ?
> On a machine of mine eg pentiumIV with hyperthreading activated, both
> the kernels operate OK. On another box {dell pe2650} and FC3, there
> was often times when smp wouldn't boot after an update but non-smp was
> fine. It didn't really make much difference to the performance of that
> machine {perhaps it also wasn't under much load}.
>
> Just trying to reduce the scope of the problem to something more
> workable ;)
>
> DaveT.

Thanks for the tips. I found this, this morning,
http://luna.gui.uva.es/sites/rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/  w00t! the
mother load of livna releases. I've leached what I need.

I'm using VMWare workstation and have given a second processor to that
so I have some decent performance. Works well and to date I've not had
any reason to consider the smp stuff a problem.  Also remember that
"hyper-threading" was pseudo processor presentation.  A Pentium D or
Core Duo now has two physical cores.

I've subscribed to the ata.raid and dm-devel lists.  I've gotten some
more feedback on the main problem I'm having and someone is looking at
my dmraid config. Hopefully I'll get a solution within the next day or
so and 2.6.18-1 here I come!