Flagging recompiled packages to circumvent Yum Updates

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Dec 13 05:28:09 UTC 2006

Michael wrote:
> Following Sven Knispel's instructions
> (http://cri.ch/linux/docs/sk0017.html), today I recompiled freetype
> with the bytecode interpreter turned on, only to be told by Puplet
> that new freetype packages were available, packages which turned out
> to be the very ones I'd just recompiled (freetype-2.2.1-16.fc6,
> freetype-devel-2.2.1-16.fc6).
>
> Is there a way of flagging a particular version of a package such
> that yum will prompt for an update only when a later iteration
> eventually arrives?

In addition to the methods Tony and DaveT pointed out, you can also do
this with yum.  It entails creating a repo for your package(s)[1] and
then using one of the following yum plugins:

yum-priorities - plugin to give priorities to packages from different repos
yum-protectbase - Yum plugin to protect packages from certain repositories.
yum-versionlock - Yum plugin to lock specified packages from being updated

[1] To create a repo you can just copy one of the .repo files in
/etc/yum.repos.d and change the baseurl option to the location of your
packages.  You can use a file:// URI instead of http:// if you want
(e.g. file:///home/user/rpmbuild/RPMS/$basearch).  To create the
metadata that yum needs, use the createrepo command.  Following the
above example, you could do createrepo ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/$basearch.

No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    -- Hans Reichenbach