Updates done by everyone

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Wed Dec 13 15:13:02 UTC 2006

Roger Grosswiler <roger at gwch.net> writes:

> If the puplet says "xx security updates" i just want, that a normal user
> can say "update now" - thats all!

And they can, if it is their computer. If not, I as an administrator would
not want random users to update software on computers I am responsible for.

> Many admins won't walk to 10 workstations for long time, so they a)
> commit the password (...no discussion...) or resolve it via sudo
> :NOPASSWD or in another, efficient way.

Are you joking? Walking around to workstations to update them? I guess you
never heard about SSH or other secure remote login systems such as
kerberized telnet. I can login to any machine at my place of work without
typing passwords anywhere else than at my workstation, which is where I
create my Kerberos tickets.

Regards
Ingemar