Can't connect to MySQL from remote computer on network

Arun Binaykia arun at binaykia.com
Wed Dec 13 15:16:15 UTC 2006

Can you give some more specifics? Is it network error ? authorization
error ?

I would check in the following sequence.

Network connectivity, ping/http/ssh
Local connections, mysql -h 127.0.0.1  -u user
Firewall settings, telnet <servername> 3306
mysql authorization, I use the gui tools to set the permissions

another hint, try tunneling through ssh and see if that works
ssh -L 3306:localhost:3306 user at server

HTH
Arun