Video drivers on laptop with ATI card.

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Dec 13 15:42:03 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> What drivers will I need to install on a Dell laptop with this video
> card:
> Part#320-4655: 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory, for
> Inspiron 6400/E1505
>
> I understand that there are open source drivers and proprietary
> drivers- what are the advantages and disadvantages of them? One of
> them has suspend problems and the other has drawing problems, no? Do I
> need to compile my own kernels?
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/616/yukmouth.php
> http://what-is-what.com/what_is/voip.html

Tricky, that one.

The radeon drivers don't know about that card.  Its fairly new.
It will default to the vesa driver which does not like the newer wide
screen resolutions.  You will get a graphical display, but probably not
the correct resolution.

The ATI drivers do work.  The downloadable drivers from ATI are capable
of generating an appropriate rpm for FC6.

no need to compile a kernel

See the redblog at phoronix.com