How to install 4.1 server

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Wed Dec 13 16:53:49 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 10:07 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> yum install mysqlclient14
>>>
>>> if necessary...
>>>
>>> yum install mysqlclient14-devel
>> That I've got. The question is how to install Mysql *SERVER* 4.1.
> ----
> "I see" said the blind man
>
> Check on the 'client' machine that 'my.cnf' is using
>
> old_passwords=0
>
> a downgrade of the server from mysql-5 to mysql-4 isn't generally desired and installing it would be a trick and a half since there are so many things built against the mysql-libs already in Fedora.
>
> Are we still talking Ruby on Rails?  What OS does your server run? Is it reasonable to think in terms of upgrading the server to mysql-5 if the suggestion about oldpasswords doesn't help?

Not RoR this time.

I have a (legacy) VB program that I support. It runs productively
against a 4.1 server - so the client libs on the Windows machine are (of
course) 4.1.

The production server is running linux (slackware, I believe).

I have to connect to the development server as well as the production
server, and I have no ability to force the production server to upgrade
to mysql 5. Those responsible for the production server won't upgrade
until *THEY* have a reason to need to.