How to install 4.1 server

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Wed Dec 13 17:12:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 10:53 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> That I've got. The question is how to install Mysql *SERVER* 4.1.
> > ----
> > "I see" said the blind man
> >
> > Check on the 'client' machine that 'my.cnf' is using
> >
> > old_passwords=0
> >
> > a downgrade of the server from mysql-5 to mysql-4 isn't generally desired and installing it would be a trick and a half since there are so many things built against the mysql-libs already in Fedora.
> >
> > Are we still talking Ruby on Rails?  What OS does your server run? Is it reasonable to think in terms of upgrading the server to mysql-5 if the suggestion about oldpasswords doesn't help?
>
> Not RoR this time.
>
> I have a (legacy) VB program that I support. It runs productively
> against a 4.1 server - so the client libs on the Windows machine are (of
> course) 4.1.
>
> The production server is running linux (slackware, I believe).
>
> I have to connect to the development server as well as the production
> server, and I have no ability to force the production server to upgrade
> to mysql 5. Those responsible for the production server won't upgrade
> until *THEY* have a reason to need to.
----
OK then, given that Fedora has as its stated purpose to be a bleeding edge distribution, MySQL 4.x doesn't get coverage and most would use RHEL or a re-spin like CentOS 4 and automatically get MySQL 4.1.x as part of the distribution.

If you absolutely had to have MySQL 4.x on a Fedora Core 5/6 system, I would think that the only way to accomplish it without getting everything else all fubar would be to install from source, in /usr/local and compile only the server stuff that you need while leaving the MySQL 5 libs, etc in place. This is not an easy task but shouldn't be that difficult either.

Craig