How much swap on laptop?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Dec 13 18:44:19 UTC 2006

Chris Jones wrote:
> I think it is generally a good idea to try and have as much swap as
> ram for hibernate.
>
> That said, on my laptop I have 1.25 G ram with 1G swap (originally I
> had 512M ram but upgrade a year back, and didn't increase the swap
> size as I cannot easily repartition) . However, I have never run
> into problems with hibernation failing because of this - most of the
> time hibernation only uses 200-400M, a small fraction of the
> available 1G swap.

Thanks Chris.  That's good to know.  I haven't checked out how much
space hibernate uses here and was simply passing on what I'd read.  So
actual use info is nice to have.  What's the simplest method to check
how much space hibernate is using?

Your lips say one thing but the drugs they say another
    -- Mr. Bungle, Goodbye Sober Day