How much swap on laptop?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 20:01:51 UTC 2006

> Thanks Chris.  That's good to know.  I haven't checked out how much
> space hibernate uses here and was simply passing on what I'd read.  So
> actual use info is nice to have.  What's the simplest method to check
> how much space hibernate is using?

Well, for me, when I hibernate the system tells me how much is used. I think
this feature was new (for me at least) with FC6. In FC5 it was just a blank
screen whilst hibernating.

I've run a few tests and the values seem a little higher than I first thought.
The average seems to be around 380MB, when hibernating a full X session with
KDE running, but most applications shutdown. The amount goes up a bit if I
leave them running when hibernating.

Chris