PVR-150 TV card woes

Bob Marcan bob.marcan at interstudio.homeunix.net
Wed Dec 13 20:21:41 UTC 2006

Colin Brace wrote:
> On 12/13/06, Daniel Parish <parishd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I use the included script ivtv-tune.pl
>
> Included with what? I can't find any such perl script on my system. I
> have ivtv 0.8.1 installed from atrpms.
>
>> Not quite as convenient as the onscreen channel widget
>> called ptune-ui.pl (if memory serves), but I haven't tried that one out
>> since migrating to FC6.
>
> I'd happily settle for the perl script.
>
> As an aside, I'm still wondering about the utility of hardware mpeg
> encoding. The raw mpeg stream from the PVR-150 takes up on the order
> of 3 gb of diskspace an hour, so you still need to further encode PVR
> output, either on the fly with mencoder or later with avidemux from
> the humongous disk file. Presumably the latter approach gives better
> results, but is there that much difference and/or is it worth trouble,
> given the middling quality of analog TV input? I also have a Pinnacle
> card, which works well with tvtime, and on-the-fly mpeg2 encoding done
> in software certainly is feasible on my pentium IV box. Thoughts on
> this?
>
> Thanks for the reply.

Change bitrate to lower values with ivtvctl.
ivtvctl -h
        bitrate_mode  =<#> bitrate mode (0 = VBR, 1 = CBR)
        bitrate       =<#> bitrate (DVD max = 9.6Mbps)
        bitrate_peak  =<#> peak bitrate (must be greater than bitrate)

Regards, Bob
  Bob Marcan, Consultant                mailto:bob.marcan at snt.si
  S&T Hermes Plus d.d.                  tel:   +386 (1) 5895-300
  Leskoskova cesta 6                    fax:   +386 (1) 5895-202
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              url:   http://www.snt.si