Video drivers on laptop with ATI card.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:13:58 UTC 2006

On 13/12/06, Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > What drivers will I need to install on a Dell laptop with this video
> > card:
> > Part#320-4655: 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory, for
> > Inspiron 6400/E1505
> >
> > I understand that there are open source drivers and proprietary
> > drivers- what are the advantages and disadvantages of them? One of
> > them has suspend problems and the other has drawing problems, no? Do I
> > need to compile my own kernels?
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/616/yukmouth.php
> > http://what-is-what.com/what_is/voip.html
> >

> Tricky, that one.
>
> The radeon drivers don't know about that card.  Its fairly new.
> It will default to the vesa driver which does not like the newer wide
> screen resolutions.  You will get a graphical display, but probably not
> the correct resolution.
>
> The ATI drivers do work.  The downloadable drivers from ATI are capable
> of generating an appropriate rpm for FC6.
>
> no need to compile a kernel
>
> See the redblog at phoronix.com

Well, I don't see any mention of my card. Does that mean that it won't
be supported but will be usable, or that it won't be usable. Can't I
just update the X config file with the correct screen resolution?
Should I be asking these questions on the X list?

The laptop should arive any day now, and I'd like to have it going as
soon as possible, naturally. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/lyrics/15/167/doors/the_doors.php
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/why_are_internet_greeting_cards_dangerous.html